Friday, January 17, 2014

White Winged Dove


White Winged Dove in now available at Smashwords and Amazon.

He was racing to save his dove.


“Just like the white winged dove
Sings a song, sounds like she's singing
Ooo, ooo, ooo
”

That was the song.  It was blaring on the radio.  Stevie Nicks, Edge of Seventeen.  It went well with the roaring of the cars engine as I sped down the highway.  Sped.  I was doing one-thirty-five.  That’s miles per hour.  One hundred thirty five miles per hour.  I was in a hurry.  She had called.  Someone was in the house with her.  I had called the police, but I was closer than any county deputy.  She had sounded frantic.  She locked herself in the bedroom when she heard voices down in the kitchen.


My turn was coming up. I slowed.  Not enough, but the skid wasn’t that bad. I recovered nicely.  Two more miles.  The car roared into the night.  I was lucky the roads were smooth.  Railroad tracks loomed in the distance. I slowed again.  Ninety-five.  I was air born.  The car hit hard on the other side.  I pressed the accelerator.  One twenty.  I could see smoke pouring out of the back of the car.  Come on girl you can do it.  Please.  One mile.  I could see the outside lights of our house.  Come on baby. Just a little farther.

No comments:

Post a Comment